A few years ago I hosted vegetarians for Thanksgiving, and I considered it a delightful challenge to serve veggie Gravy. Everyone preferred it over the turkey gravy.
This gravy gets beautiful flavor from fresh herbs (dried works in a pinch) and good vegetable stock. Build out the gravy texture early with shallots, butter and flour, and then a bit of heavy cream knocks it into high gear.
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 Cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 Cup heavy cream
- 3 Tablespoons finely fresh chopped herbs (sage, rosemary, thyme)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Melt butter
- Add flour, stir continuously over low heat (creating a very light roux). When bubbly, stir in shallots. If you like garlic, you may also add minced garlic at this stage.
- Cook 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add vegetable stock, and over medium-low heat, bring to a simmer. As it begins to simmer, it will thicken.
- Once you see thickening, add heavy cream and herbs. Simmer, stirring, for 3-4 minutes.
Taste for desired level of salt and pepper.