Select whatever melting cheese you like, depending on your dish. Commonly, with cheddar this is perfect for homemade macaroni and cheese. This is a basic bechamel sauce with cheese added and is very flexible.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cream
- 4 ounces Swiss, Cheddar or other melting cheese, grated
- 4 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon vermouth (dry white wine works in a pinch)
- salt & cayenne pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan and saute parsley and scallions for one minute.
- Blend in flour and cook, stirring constantly for one minute.
- Blend in cream and bring just to boiling.
- Add cheeses, stirring until melted.
- Add vermouth and season with salt and cayenne pepper to taste.