This simple, rich sauce features the marriage of cream, sherry and mushrooms. Feel free to make it thinner or use it as a base for something more gravy-like. It is delicious over a nice steak or chicken, but just as delicious for dipping with some good crusty bread. If you cook it down and puree it in a blender or food processor, you’ll have a lovely spread for crackers on your charcuterie board.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 pound mushrooms, sliced (any mushrooms work, but if you have something fancy, go for it)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cream (light is fine)
- 1 whole egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 whole truffle minced, or a splash of truffle oil (optional)
- Melt butter in a small saucepan.
- Saute mushrooms for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and butter and stir for about one minute.
- Add cream and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sauce boils.
- Stir one tablespoon of the sauce into the beaten egg yolk.
- Add egg yolk mixture to sauce and continue cooking, stirring, until sauce is desired thickness, but does not boil.
- Season with sherry, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and paprika to taste.
- Stir in minced truffle if desired and remove from heat (optional).