- 1 lb. hamburger
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups canned or cooked tomatoes
- 6 small potatoes
- 6 carrots
- 6 small onions
- Combine first 10 ingredients in a bowl.
- Shape into 12 balls
- Roll in flour
- Brown in hot shortening in skillet;
Add remaining flour & Tomatoes; Place quartered raw potatoes, halved carrots, & whole small onions (6 of each) in the meatball dish.
Cover and bake in a very hot oven (450°F) for 35-45 minutes; —–
Notes: 1. The meatball portion of the recipe is Belgian Meatballs;
This recipe is from Margaret Fouch’s (Tom’s late mother); it is believed to have originated in a 1930s cookbook called “Aunt Jenny’s Favorite Recipes”. This cookbook can sometimes be found in antique stores.