A few things upfront…you’ll want to make your rice and your chicken ahead and then chill it for this recipe. This recipe calls for chicken and vegetables, but you can make it how you like it. If you don’t like chicken, use pork or beef or shrimp or tofu. If you don’t have carrots, use whatever vegetables appeal to you. If you have sesame or fire oil, feel free to replace some of the vegetable oil with them. Think of the flavors you’re craving and what you have in your fridge and you’ll make this your own recipe each time.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided (sesame oil and fire oil will also taste great)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups prepared white rice, chilled
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken (or whatever protein you like)
- ½ cup sliced celery
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup green peas (or whatever you like such as broccoli, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Sesame seeds/everything bagel seasoning for garnish (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Pour in the eggs; cook and stir until scrambled and firm.
- Remove the eggs from the wok, and set them aside.
- Put the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the wok and turn the heat up to high.
- Stir in rice until each grain is coated with oil, followed by the meat and then vegetables.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover, and allow to steam for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the scrambled eggs and the soy sauce, and cook until eggs are heated through.