This sauce can be made ahead and added to cooked rice, vegetables and/or sausage and seafood for dishes to make on a busy weeknight for dishes like gumbo, jambalaya, or to simmer a variety of ingredients for extra flavor. It freezes well works great as a dipping sauce for cocktail shrimp! Very flexible for a busy life.
- 1/2 cup green peppers, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup olives, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil (for vegan version)
- 10 ounces tomato sauce (crushed tomatoes are also great)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or a few chopped sprigs of fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 teaspoon bay leaves, chopped fine
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- Saute green pepper, onion, olives, and garlic in butter or oil for 5 minutes.
- Add and combine remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer for about fifteen minutes.