This recipe is so easy and so delicious…and healthy to boot!
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion, Diced Small
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 14 Ounces Italian Chicken Sausage Hot or Sweet (Optional), Sliced or Ground
- 1 Pound Button Mushrooms, Sliced
- 3 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 15 Ounce Can Crushed or Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Oregano
- 3 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 2 Cups Baby Spinach
- 1 Pound Gnocchi Uncooked
Variations: You can use squash, carrots, celery or other vegetables in place of or in addition to the vegetables listed above.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot (preferably a Dutch oven) over medium heat until it shimmers,
- Add diced onion and cook over medium to low heat until golden and translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add (optional) Italian chicken sausage, cooking until browned.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook for until the mushrooms release their juice (about five minutes).
- Add tomato paste and crushed tomatoes, salt and oregano.
- Add stock, and bring to simmer and then simmer about 10 minutes or until about ten minutes before serving.
- Ten minutes before serving, add spinach.
- Five minutes before serving, add gnocchi.
- When gnocchi floats (3-5 minutes), serve hot with bread or grilled cheese sandwiches.
Optional Garnish: parsley, feta or parmesan cheese