Savory Pumpkin & Squash Recipe Challenge Recipe #6
This is the second of two submissions by contributor Toulon O’Connor, who has been featured on this blog as a Real Home Cook. Learn more about her here. Her other recipe for Apple & Pumpkin Empanadas can be found here.
Shepherd’s Pie with Cheesy Pumpkin
Preheat oven to 375 F
- ½ c. Ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire
- 2 dashes hot sauce
Whisk together ingredients for barbecue sauce and set aside.
- 1 Tbsp EVOO
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tsp mustard seed ‘
- 3 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 c. red bell peppers
- 1 c. green beans
- 1 c. celery
- 1 c. carrot
- 1 c. corn
- Heat EVOO in a pan.
- Add the next 6 ingredients.
- Sautee over med heat for 5 minutes.
- Add lamb and cook until evenly brown.
- Take off heat and drain grease.
- Return ingredients to pan and add last 5 ingredients.
- Sautee again over med heat for 3 minutes
- Veggies should still be a bit crunchy. Take off heat. Add bbq sauce and stir.
- 4 large red potatoes peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cups pumpkin, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1.5 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large clove garlic
- ¼ c butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat approx 8 cups of water with 1 Tbl salt to boil, add potatoes and pumpkin ( add more water to cover if needed) bring back to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 10-12 minutes or until fork soft. Drain H2O. Return to pan.
- Add garlic,butter and cheese. Mash all ingredients with potato masher or fork. S&P to taste.
Place filling mixture tossed in bbq into an 8×8 inch pan. Cover with topping and place in preheated oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until topping shows glimmers of brown and filling is bubbling. Remove from oven, allow to cool × 5-10 minutes and enjoy.
2 Comments Add yours