Savory Pumpkin & Squash Recipe Challenge Recipe #12
This is the second of two submissions by contributor Ashley Blom, author, food blogger and she’s also been featured on this blog as a Real Home Cook. Learn more about her here. Here’s her other submission to the challenge, Pumpkin Risotto with Roasted Garlic.
Vegan Low Carb Pumpkin Sage Bisque
- 1 small sugar pumpkin (~2 lbs) peeled, seeded, and cooked through
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 3 leaves sage, chopped fine
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 can coconut cream
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil + 1 tbs margarine or butter substitute
- -n a large saucepan, melt the butter and warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and garlic and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add the pumpkin, sage, nutmeg, and broth (you may need more or less, enough to cover the veggies by a little less than an inch) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes.
- When carrots are tender, puree the soup with an immersion blender or in batches in a food processor. Add sriracha, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Add coconut cream, slowly, mixing constantly, until soup is at desired creaminess. Top with a dollop of condensed coconut cream or sour cream.