Savory Pumpkin & Squash Recipe Challenge Recipe #1
This is the first of two submissions by contributor Toulon O’Connor, who has been featured on this blog as a Real Home Cook. Learn more about her here. Her other recipe for BBQ Shepherd’s Pie With Cheesy Pumpkin can be found here.
Thai Curried Pumpkin, Lentil and Apple Empanadas with Mango Salsa
Thai Mango Salsa
- One mango (diced)
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp garlic chili sauce
- 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- S&P to taste
Place all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 Tbsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1 cup apples
- S&P to taste
- Canola oil ( enough to cover approx 1 inch bottom of a cast iron pan)
- Heat extra virgin olive oil over medium heat.
- Add first 8 ingredients and saute over med heat for 3-5 minutes (cover with a lid or you will have mustard seeds all over the place) until fragrant…agitate your pan throughout.
- Add fish sauce and coconut milk and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add green lentils; simmer for 25 minutes or until soft.
- Add pumpkin, apple, red bell pepper and simmer on low in a covered pan for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
You will need a package of Goya empanada wrappers defrosted for assembly.
- Heat canola oil over medium heat.
- Place approximately 2 tablespoons of filling inside the empanada discs. Crimp exterior with a fork until completely sealed.
- Place empanadas in hot oil until golden brown….this happens pretty darn quick…like around 30 seconds or so. Drain empanada on paper towels or other absorbent material. Enjoy hot (or also great next day at room temp) with chilled mango salsa.