This recipe features fresh vegetables and chickpeas in a tangy, garlicky dressing. Giving it time to sit for at least an hour helps allow the flavors to combine and permeate the chickpeas. Leave the parsley and feta to add on the plate as a garnish. You’ll appreciate the contrast of the feta that has not been marinating in the dressing. The parsley adds a simple, earthy element. This makes an excellent make-ahead add-on to a weeknight dinner, as letting it sit longer allows the blending of the flavors. It is good within an hour, but it makes an excellent 2-3 day option too.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (similar size to a garbanzo bean)
- 1 small cucumber, chopped (similar size to a garbanzo bean)
- 1/8 red onion, sliced very thin
- 1 red and 1 yellow roasted bell pepper (from a jar is fast and easy), chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: 5 kalamata olives, chopped fine
- feta cheese crumbled (set to the side for adding at the table)
- parsley, chopped fine (set to the side for adding at the table)
- salt to taste
Add lemon juice, garlic and olive oil to a bowl. Add next 6 ingredients. Stir well. Refrigerate 2 hours minimum, overnight is even better.
Serve cold, garnish with a spoonful of crumbled feta and the chopped parsley.