Pesto makes a perfect sauce for pasta or vegetables, a lovely spread for sandwiches, and even a quick add-on to dips or marinades.
Pesto’s flavor variety and profile not only come from the herbs, cheese, oil, and spices, but also whether or not it is cooked.
- 2 cups fresh herb leaves, smashed into bowl
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Mizithra cheese (when available)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder
Puree all ingredients in food processor or blender. Store in fridge or freezer.
Try any combination of fresh herbs with this recipe, starting with at least half of the herbs as basil. As you find your favorite combos, try less and less basil. Try different tree nuts such as walnuts, almonds or pecans.
2 Comments Add yours